As the name suggests, diabetic footwear is specially designed to help with foot conditions that often occur among those who have diabetes. For example, diabetic footwear can help with diabetic neuropathy, numbness, foot ulcers, and poor circulation.
Diabetic footwear comes with specialized features that alleviate diabetes-related foot conditions. Some of these features include:
- Non-binding upper laces that make sure no excess pressure is put on the foot.
- A protective interior made out of soft stitching and material that won’t cause irritation to the feet.
- Extra depth that provides a snug fit without any pressure and also allows for thick orthotic inserts.
- A deeper toe box that gives more room for toe movement and prevents any extra pressure from being put on the toes.
- Soles that are lightweight and cushioned to help with stability and mobility while reducing the amount of impact on the feet.
If you have diabetes, there are many benefits that come from wearing diabetic footwear. These include better circulation, improved motion control, prevention of skin breakdown and callus formation, and reduced occurrence of foot problems.
If you have diabetes, you can wear normal shoes, but this is not always worth the risk. By wearing diabetic footwear, you can prevent diabetes-related foot problems that often lead to serious health complications.
If you are looking for diabetic footwear, we can introduce you to many options at Tierney Orthotics and Prosthetics. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule an appointment.